Here’s this Sunday’s dose of awesomesauce, care of the unparalleled Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth. You’re welcome.
There are other videos on youtube of them singing For Good in actual performances of Wicked (Kristin’s final perfomance of the song had me bawling my eyes out, it was so emotional), but this rehearsal footage remains my favorite. The performance is raw and slightly rough around the edges, Idina is even just learning where to take her breath in between the lines. But that’s what makes me love it more than the perfectly rehearsed Wicked performances. With just a piano to accompany them, it’s just all about these two amazingly talented women and a beautiful, poignant song.
Other highlights of the video for me include:
- At some point they stop singing and then start off again in the middle of the lines with the highest notes, without needing some sort of build-up or whatever. WHO DOES THAT?!?!
- The musical director’s kinda cute. Haha.
- Kristin Chenoweth being barely taller than the piano.
- Kristin Chenoweth sitting, leaning back on her arms like she was on a blanket on the beach as she starts singing. WHO DOES THAT?!?!
- Idina’s eyes almost popping out of her head, she’s so out of breath, but still sounds better singing out of breath than 99.5% of us.
- The expression in Kristin’s face as she watches Idina sing.
Seriously. At some point in this video my mouth always ends up hanging open in awe. Doesn’t yours?